On Friday morning I was flipping through my evaluations from the rotations I’ve done so far, and it made me think about the compliments I like to get the most. I’ve never been one to find comments about clothing to be flattering, but there are a few compliments that have really stood out to me over the years:
1. Good question When you ask a good question, it means that you have challenged the intelligence of someone else in a way that forces them to think outside of their normal realm of knowledge, to apply their expertise to something a little less routine but entirely relevant. I feel so much smarter when I get this compliment than when someone says “you’re smart.”
2. You’re funny Again, humor is a sign of intelligence. Making someone laugh has to be one of my favorite things in the whole entire world, especially if I admire that person.
3. She works hard Nothing speaks to a person’s character like their willingness to roll up their sleeves and get down and dirty, doing the work that others might try to pass off.
4. I wouldn’t want to get into a fight with her, she’s STRONG It’s true what they say, strong is the new skinny, and it takes hard work and dedication to get that way. But it’s not just the work that goes into building strength that feels good, it’s the confidence that you can do whatever you need to – moving into a new apartment? Check.
5. That girl is in such good shape See #4.